Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Review - Cafe Basilico, Bandra West Mumbai

It was one of those days where you just randomly decide to get out of home for a nice meal. A friend and I happened to be in Bandra for some work and it was dinner time and were searching for a good place to eat some Italian or European cuisine. Searched for some places on Zomato, found Basilico to be just around the corner from where we were at and decided to tick it off from our list. It was a quaint little place. It was a weekday and a dry day therefore the place was quite empty. We took a table outside at first, but it was a little humid that day. We did read in the reviews that the service was little slow. We took a chance still, as we were in no hurry. But then there is bad service and then when someone like me loses patience, something must have been really wrong than just bad service. I was made to wait for some 15 mins for the waiter to get water after reminding him twice, after already waiting for sometime since we got in. Got really annoyed with the heat and the fact that there was no water on my table still, we walked inside, asked the manager to get some effing water and took a table indoors. 

Things got little better after that. The menu was interesting and wholesome. There were lots of stuff in the menu to be tried out. My friend ordered a Pesto Scarmoza Chicken Roulade and I ordered Basilico's Char Grilled Rawas after reading Zomato reviews. We asked how much time they would take to serve us, skeptical about the service by now, and they said 20 mins. The food did come in 20 mins but I dont know why the waiters there wont serve me water. My glass would be empty for I dont know how long and I would have to beg them to get me some. 



The food came in. The Chicken Roulade didn't look very appetizing. It was arranged in a grotesque sort of way which would make your imagination run wild for a bit and you may think to yourself, should I eat this? Are people watching me eat this. It was overcooked. The bbqish sauce was not enough for the dry meat. The mashed potatoes seasoned with mustard oil served as an accompaniment, didn't go too well with the main dish. They should have kept the mashed potatoes simple and added more of pesto sauce. It wasn't a bad dish but it wasn't great either. We have had better.

Pesto Scarmoza Chicken Roulade 

However, the Grilled Fish was a Star. The grilled fish looked spectacular placed beautifully on delicately crumbled butter paper, which was charred to a golden brown colour around the edges. It was seasoned well with red chilly flakes and chopped coriander leaves glazed in a yummy lime cream sauce. It felt like a lot of care went into making and serving the dish. My non-fish eating friend nodded positively after a bite. I thought the seasoning was outstanding and the fish was cooked to perfection, actually just a slightly over but it could be forgiven. The fish was very fresh.  You could tell.



Charred Grilled Rawas



Plateful of Char Grilled Rawas


Yep, amidst this, yet again I had to call for the freaking water 2 more times. The meal portions were quite good hence we skipped desserts. They looked pretty alright though. 

Would try this place again next time, if I am in a mood for Char Grilled Rawas. A must have, here.




2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very well written.. this is a problem with me when I go to a restaurant which has any kind of Red Meat on the menu.. The rest of the menu goes unnoticed.. By the way you describe it though, I will sure try the Rawas..

They also have an awesome variety of steaks.. And that's where I get stuck whenever I am there..

The T-bone there is one of the best I've had..

Also U should try out the desserts.. I dig the Cheese cake they have on offer..

Keep writing.. Cheers!!